Monday, August 31, 2009

Curb Appeal


My house needs some serious help with curb appeal. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it is the ugliest house on the block, but maybe I'm just deluding myself. The house is lovely inside -- wood floors, curved archways, interesting "architectural details" -- but the outside of the house leaves much to be desired. Some woefully shortsighted former owner back in the 1950s decided that metal awnings, vinyl siding and juniper trees would be a good addition to the property. We've finally taken care of the trees (hurray! see photos below), but the other features still haunt us.
Before


After

What does this house need, dear readers? I'm soliciting advice. Clearly, a new coat of paint would do wonders, but what color? Can vinyl siding be removed? Would it look too bare and plain without the metal awnings?

The best ideas will be rewarded with a lavish cash prize. Ha! Just kidding, but I am willing to offer my undying gratitude...


7 comments:

Kathy said...

First of all, your house looks fine. It's cute. My friends who live in Alameda also tore off the metal awnings on their house and it looks a whole lot better without them.

Emily Luton said...

my house is the ugliest on the block ;)

Rhona said...

First of all your house isn't the ugliest on the block because it is home to two of my three cutest grandsons. And, you are right, taking down the ugly trees is a good thing. Have fun deciding on the color paint (why does green come to mind?)and yes, the awning can go.

Nicolle Brooks said...

I'm thinking brown/beige paint, cute new wooden shutters around the windows, no metal awnings or siding, and a new flower border along the driveway. Voila!

Unknown said...

Are the awnings helping to keep things cool in the California sun? My Mom has retractable canvas awnings to help shade her windows. Those would come in any color.

I knew a couple in Blacksburg with a big two story house who "simply" covered their old vinyl with new vinyl in a color they liked better, and leaving the old vinyl on was no problem and added insulation. Plus, for them it was a do-it-yourself job and came out looking nice.

Enjoy your adorable house!

Unknown said...

Do you think you could use the computer to simulate the front exterior of the house and try out colors, shutters, awnings and such? We did that recently for living room furniture.

Dianne said...

The color would depend upon whether you choose to keep the black rain gutters. Gray with white (wider) shutters would look cute with that. Also, if you put new bricks on the front steps and porch, you could take out the hedge and continue with a brick planter across the front, planted with greenery and blooming seasonal flowers.