Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Guys



Well, I meant to do something along these lines for Father's Day, but with two boys with double ear infections and pink eye, I've been otherwise engaged this week. Yikes!

In any case, everyone is feeling better and I'm left with a few moments to reflect upon how lucky I feel to have these three wonderful guys in my life. Having grown up in a family dominated by women, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with one little boy let alone two. It will not surprise the parents out there to learn, however, that in the end, you love what you get --fiercely and without reservations. My boys make me laugh many times each day ("Mommy, the bay looks choppy today" said Max as our plane landed at the airport. "Choppy"?! Really?! Where did he learn that word???!!!). They shower me with hugs and kisses. They make me crazy (15-month-old Henry now enjoys throwing all of his food on the floor and then looking at me earnestly and saying, "Hi. Hi. Hi" in the sweetest, most innocent tone of voice). There's really no other word but "blessed" to describe how I feel to have these two in my life, and then there's their father.

Scott and I have been together over 12 years at this point which certainly boggles the mind. He too makes me laugh, showers me with affection, and drives me crazy (though I'm happy to report that he doesn't generally throw his food on the floor). It has been amazing to watch the man I love grow as a father over these past three years. He is patient, sensitive to Max and Henry's concerns and feelings, and, of course, tons of fun. I often have to avert my eyes as he is hurtling one or both of them through the air in some death-defying maneuver, but the boys can't seem to get enough.

Were I giving a toast right now, I'd want to raise my glass -- To my husband, Scott, "Happy Belated Father's Day," and to my sweet boys, "May you grow up to be men as fine as your own father."




Max and Daddy Mow the Lawn

6 comments:

Lindsay Margenau said...

Aww... that made me cry. What a beautiful post Danielle! :)

Susannah said...

This is so sweet, Danielle. :) Hope your little guys are on the mend. Sounds rough out there!

Talk soon?

Rhona said...

This made me cry; what a great team you are.

gerbelator said...

This is total bunk. I demand a retraction.

The only thing I'm sensitive to is the hardships that crab fishman go through on a daily basis.

Rhona said...

Gerbelator-you are so full of donkey dust (a favorite saying by your Grandma Bessie so that she could avoid using the s word). I suspect no retraction will ever be coming your way.

Nicolle Brooks said...

What a great post, Sue!!

Who is this Gerbelator character invading our comments space on the blog? ;)