Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Future X Games Stars?


So today we took Max, Henry, and Mick to the BMX Park in Pleasanton. Keep in mind that Max has only been riding a bike for a few weeks. His friend Mick, by contrast, is an "old pro" at this point, having mastered the two-wheeler over a year ago at the ripe old age of three. I wasn't sure if Max would enjoy the park or become easily frustrated and ask to leave. I figured Henry would have fun puttering around in the dirt on his balance bike. As it turns out, all three boys had a blast! Henry was all over the place on that balance bike, earning stares and nods of appreciation from teenage daredevils. Max was absolutely fearless and he took a couple hills that almost threw me into cardiac arrest. I wasn't sure if I should feel proud of him for his skill and his nerve or if I should castigate myself for being the most irresponsible parent in the world (what kind of mother takes her not-quite-four-year-old son to a place where he can hurl himself down huge hills at great speed on top of a vehicle that he has only just learned to ride???!!!). The answer, of course, is that I felt both proud and terrified at the same time. Kind of sums up parenting, doesn't it?







3 comments:

Rhona said...

Wow, this is so impressive. Both that the boys are willing to try anything and that you give them enough room to grow. Congrats to all!

Nicolle Brooks said...

My god, I thought it would be another good 12 years before you were taking the boys to a BMX park!! What the heck?!? They look adorable, though.

Dianne said...

I'm proud of their independence and courage, but my heart flutters just hearing about it. I love how the older kids gave Henry a smile - the daredevil in training.