Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bay Area Discovery Museum

Last week I was lucky enough to hear about a 24-hour deal from the Bay Area Discovery Museum in Sausalito. They were offering 50% off a year-long family membership. I've been wanting to check out this museum since we moved here, but it was always too expensive or too far away. Well, this incredible deal was the kick in the butt that I'd been waiting for.

Today we used our membership for the first time and checked out the place with our friends Emily, Jillian, and Addy. The trip had an auspicious start in that we were all able to pile into Emily's van. Ever since our trip to June Lake last summer, I've had mini van envy. These babies are awesome -- doors that spring open at the touch of a button, ample room for lots of kids, dvd players that lower from the ceiling (pant, pant, pant). But I digress.

For all that I'd built it up in my mind, the trip didn't take us more than 40 minutes, even with a little bit of traffic. And the view when we got there (the museum is located in Fort Baker at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge) was absolutely stunning!

The kids and I LOVED the museum. There was a toddler play space, an art room, a hands-on naturalists' exhibit, a train and crab-fishing room, and endless amazing outdoor spaces with lots of things to do and explore. I really appreciated the depth of thought that went into the design of this museum. It is the perfect place for kids, and we will be heading back there soon.

Anyone up for a road trip? Anyone have a mini van?














6 comments:

Unknown said...

Had a blast with you guys today. We can go in my van anytime!! And for the record my daughter Jillian is wearing a sweatshirt with a monster truck on it. In the picture it looks like a bikini or fake boobs. Both bad on a almost 5 year old.

Nicolle Brooks said...

Looks like a great place - the boys look like they're having a blast

Rhona said...

This looks like so much fun. I would love to go with you some day.

Courtney R said...

Looks like such a wonderful museum!

Unknown said...

A hands-on naturists exhibit - what kind of kids' museum is this?!

Dave said...

We should go there together some weekend. We are also members and go at least once a month!