Sunday, August 28, 2011

What a Difference a Year Makes

I have always loved my annual trip up to June Lake in the Eastern Sierra. My family has been going there for decades, and I have so many fond memories of fishing with my dad, climbing up rocks with my cousins and singing with the whole family around the campfire. It has been a real joy introducing my boys to this special place over the past five years, but as anyone with children can tell you, vacation isn't the same once kids are in the picture. Yes, I still loved June Lake as much as ever, but instead of sitting peacefully by the lake, I found myself running after toddlers and making pot after pot of "stone soup" to keep them entertained (Dodie's great idea, of course!). Instead of enjoying a few late night cocktails at the Tiger Bar, I found myself home putting sleepy babies to bed while everyone else stayed out for hours.

This year, however, something was different. Apparently 5 years old and 3 1/2 is some sort of magic threshold. Max and Henry were actually engaged in the fishing (and caught nine and five fish respectively!). They were able to skip naps, go with the flow, and stay up late hanging out. Scott and I were in absolute heaven, and as much as I sometimes miss the snuggly little babies I used to cart around, I have to admit that there's something to be said for the "big-kid crowd"!





Two cuties ready for fun

Hanging out with sister and niece at Ellery Lake

Dodie and Olivia

BBQ at the Landberg/Gruber residence

Up at the Virginias

A truly "epic" day of fishing!

Posing in front of Mono Lake

Mother and Daughter with tufas

Early morning at Silver Lake

Taking a spin on the pontoon boat on June Lake

All the young cousins at Steve's cabin

Family shot

The whole gang (minus Olivia and Scott) in front of Steve's cabin

Concentrating on reeling in his first fish

Success!!!

Snow in August???!!! (yes, it was that kind of winter)

Nicolle, David, and Olivia

Henry and Dodie with one of his first fish

Holly and Virginia with their "lunker"

1 comment:

Rhona said...

Those fish look fantastic. I hope there was some good eating! Congrats to Max and Henry on a fine fishing trip.