Friday, April 8, 2011

Ladybugs to the Rescue!

For the past couple years we've had a lot of trouble with aphids in our roses. I tried the organic insecticides, and they seemed to have little to no effect. I have been reluctant to try anything stronger because the rose bushes are right next to our vegetable garden.

This year, the roses are just starting to fill out and bud, and already they are COVERED in those nasty little aphids. A friend suggested ladybugs and what do you know -- they sell them here in town in neat little plastic containers! Apparently, ladybugs love aphids more than anything and can eat hundreds of them per day. The boys and I "released" the ladybugs into our garden this evening and marveled as we watched them crawl up the plants and start in on their favorite cuisine.

We wish our ladybug friends "Bon Appetit"!







3 comments:

Dianne said...

Great pictures of the pesty aphids with the ladybugs in hot pursuit. It reminds me of one of the books that I gave the boys.

Rhona said...

It looks like you are going to have a bunch of fat ladybugs. Perfect.

Rhona said...

Ladybug! Ladybug!
Fly away home.
Your house is on fire.
And your children all gone.

All except one,
And that's little Ann,
For she crept under
The frying pan.

I could only remember 1/2 of this poem but it kept "bugging" me so i looked it up.