Saturday, December 11, 2010

Home Makeover -- Alameda Style

Slowly but surely we're whittling away at the many home projects that face us in this 1940 Split-level Traditional that we call home. Since we moved in two years ago we've removed the carpet, painted almost every room, removed two giant juniper trees and installed a new deck and fence. The latest (and most expensive!) in this long line of projects has been installing new windows throughout the house. I knew these windows would improve our energy efficiency (ie get rid of the bitter cold wind blowing through the old aluminum windows). I knew they would cut down on street noise. I also knew they would enhance the look of the house, but I had NO idea what a big impact it would be! We followed the original architect's 1939 plan for the house and put in windows with grids. The overall look is so much more finished and formal than what we had before. I am absolutely beside myself because I love them so much!

Of course now that I've seen what a difference the windows make, I'm all the more eager to remove the vinyl siding, paint the house, landscape the yard, replace the front steps, etc, but we're not made of money around here, so these changes will have to wait. Stay tuned!




Our house when we bought it


House after tree trimming


House minus awnings and with new windows


Detail of boys' window


Side view


Front window before


Front window after


Living room before


Living room after


Dining room before


Dining room after


Boys' room with new windows


Bathroom with new windows

5 comments:

Rhona said...

The windows look fabulous. Can't wait to see them.

Dianne said...

I am beside myself for you - they look absolutely fantastic, outside (the black) and inside (the white). What a difference - and so so much more in keeping with the architecture of the house. And, they will make the temperature of your home more cozy in winter and cool in summer !

Josh said...

I'm impressed! What a difference! Can't wait to see them in the spring.

Susannah said...

Your house looks so great! I am so impressed with all of the work you all have done. Congrats!!

Nicolle Brooks said...

Wow, they look awesome Sue!!! Absolutley fantastic.