Wednesday, August 18, 2010

June Lake 2010

It wouldn't be a vacation with small children unless there was some element of disaster involved, and this year, disaster -- thy name was "Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease." Poor Henry fell ill a couple days before we left -- fever for two days followed by mouth sores. By the time we hopped in the car to drive up into the mountains, Max was also running a fever, and in a particularly delightful turn, he managed to throw up all over me in the back seat. I knew my fate was sealed at that point, but it took a couple days for my own symptoms to set in. I lost a lot of valuable vacation time to this stupid illness, but there were at least two pluses: (1) I got to stay home by myself and read (The Passage by Justin Cronin is every bit as addictive as the publicity hype would like you to believe), and (2) I didn't gain as much weight eating crappy vacation food because my throat was too sore. Hurrah!

By mid-week everyone was feeling much better and we somehow managed not to infect the rest of the family. We spent a lot of time fishing and exploring old favorite lakes and discovering new ones. We hung out with the extended family and celebrated my mom's retirement after 23 years of teaching. As always, the week went by too quickly and I'm already dreaming about next year...



Dodie and Henry check out boats at the Gull Lake Marina


The view from our condo did not suck


One of my favorite pictures of Max. He's getting so big!


Another favorite shot taken at Silver Lake


Is this boy cute or what?!


Dodie, Max, and Henry at Ellery Lake


All the ladies (and Max) at Ellery


Singing songs around the campfire


Morning at Silver Lake


I had to bribe them to get them to pose for this shot


Dodie and her sons-in-law


Toasting my mom at her retirement soiree

Family Poker Tournament (Scott was the big winner!)


David and Nicolle (yes, she's knocked up!)

4 comments:

Rhona said...

This looks like so much fun! And I love everyone in their fishing hats and vests.

Dianne said...

Let's go back - it went way too fast!!!!

Nicolle Brooks said...

What a great set of pictures, Sue!

Susannah said...

That is one beautiful vacation spot, Danielle. And you are quite the photographer!! I'm sorry to hear about yet another sickness for you guys, but it sounds (and looks) like you guys managed to have fun despite it. :)