Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Shutterbug

Scott and I finally gave in and bought the DSLR camera that we've been longing for. We did a lot of research on the various options and ended up going with the Sony Alpha 500. The main reason we chose this option over the excellent Canons and Nikons and the super-cool micro 4/3 Panasonic was because we discovered that my Dad's old Minolta lenses were compatible. Apparently, Sony bought Minolta many years ago and reverse engineered the Alpha series to work with automatic Minolta lenses (post 1985 or so). Now, we not only have a camera with a kit lens, but we have a 35-105 lens, a 100-300 lens, and a gigantic 400mm telephoto that will come in handy if we have to do reconnaissance work! It feels really special to be able to use something that once meant so much to my father. Even seeing his old camera bag brought back a rush of memories. I know he would be thrilled that we are so excited about the equipment and the hobby that he loved. I only wish he were here with us so that he and I could talk f-stops and shutter speed over a cup of coffee. I miss you, Dad.

This morning I took the camera and the boys down to Crab Cove and the farmer's market. It was fun to try out the camera's various settings. I have a lot to learn, but at least I have two cute and willing subjects here at home!





















5 comments:

Rhona said...

What gorgeous pictures. I know that the camera will get lots of use and provide magnificent pix. Congratulations and I'm glad that you did this for yourselves.

Hentino said...

Great pics!!!!

Does Max like his Skuut? Jordan has one and still can't reach the ground on the lowest setting....he's wee.

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous photos and gorgeous subjects! A nice camera with lenses makes all the difference. You're going to love it!

Nicolle Brooks said...

Very special to see you using Daad's camera to take pictures of your boys.

Dianne said...

Sis, you are right. Daad would so approve and want to talk camera and lens lingo with you. Your pics so far are gorgeous - they all look like postcards!