Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Little Scientist

So, today at lunch Max asked me, "Can we put water in a cup and see what would happen if we put it in the freezer?" I was surprised and delighted by this unexpected show of scientific interest. Before you knew it, we had water turning into ice in the freezer and ice melting into water in the cat's dish. Max would check on both "experiments" every few minutes and report back on the progress. Having determined that water turns into ice, Max next asked to see what would happen with milk and with juice. The whole family enjoyed discussing the difference between liquids and solids, though I decided to leave discussions of water vapor for another day after I caught Scott showing a mystified Max diagrams he had drawn of hydrogen and oxygen and their chemical bonds. The kid is only three, Scott. Let's take it slow...


4 comments:

Rhona said...

But he's a brilliant 3. After all how many grandsons call their grandma and laugh about "knock, knock, who's there. . .

See you on Saturday.

Unknown said...

This reminds me of a conversation I once overheard between Scott and a certain US Senator about the volume of ice and water. She was also mystified.

Miss you guys!

Nicolle Brooks said...

What a clever boy. Stanford, here he comes!

Leigha said...

What did Fang think of all this scientific interest in his cat bowls?

Lena got a few little kitties from my dad for Christmas (probably choking hazards, by the way) and yesterday I caught her putting them in Louie's crunchy bowl. He was NOT pleased!